The information contained in this website is supplied without liability for errors or omissions. The copyright of this site vests with
The Friends of Tamworth Castle and Museum - all rights reserved. Charity Commission for England and Wales - Registered Charity Number 1082468
The ruins of the Castle's stone Gatehouse, built about 1260-1270 probably for Lord Philip Marmion. It replaced an earlier Norman wooden gateway, which defended the only entrance into the Castle's Lower Bailey from attack.
The footbridge over the ruins leads from Market Street (opposite the Town Hall) into the Castle grounds.